The Brook Retirement Sponsors Medicare Education Month for Northern Michigan Caregivers
The Medicare Open Enrollment period is almost here again! If you are new to Medicare or are a new caregiver for a senior loved one, this is the time to make changes to a current plan for 2014. The open enrollment period runs from October 15th through December 7th each year.
To help you make the most of Medicare Open Enrollment, we are kicking off The Brook’s Medicare Education Month with these tips to help you get organized. We are also using our Facebook page to share one fact about Medicare each day. “Like” us on Facebook to https://www.facebook.com/brookretirement?ref=hl learn more about the Medicare benefit throughout the month of October.
Top 5 Tips for Getting Organized for Medicare Open Enrollment
- Review expenses from this year. Were there any surprises? Maybe a new medication that isn’t covered or a new physician that doesn’t accept your current plan? Those are all issues to consider for 2014.
- Are your favorite physicians and health care partners still planning to accept your traditional Medicare or your Medicare Advantage plan next year? Providers come and go in insurance plans. To make sure, call your provider directly. Don’t forget to do the same for your pharmacies, therapy services and outpatient clinics.
- Read the literature you receive from potential health care providers as it arrives in your mailbox. You might also want to make a few quick notes about what each plan offers that is of interest to you.
- Should you need help with open enrollment, each state offers assistance. To find out who to contact in your area use this link www.medicare.gov/ and enter
your state in the drop down menu. There is no charge for these services.
- Finally, if you or the senior you are a caregiver for are considered to be lower income, you might be eligible for help. The Medicare Savings Plan (MSP) and Medicare Extra Help are two assistance programs to explore.
Finally, be sure to download this free Yearly Medicare Plan Review brochure.It is full of important dates and resources to help you through open enrollment.
Remember to “Like” us on Facebook to take advantage of the daily Medicare
tips that will be posted throughout the month of October!